Wednesday, June 24, 2009

After work

Went to a creek last night after work around 7. Had two hours until dark.

I decided to wade the creek with my fly rod. I could see bass cruising and bluegill were slamming surface bugs.

I started out with a small bass bug. And immediately started catching the bluegill. But the bass weren't having any of it. I then changed to a nymph pattern that I had concocted (similar to a zebra nymph but red). On the 3rd cast it was sucked up by a nice 1 1/2 pound bass.

From then on it was steady fishing. That is until my one and only nymph decided to check out a tree. I tried other flies (sculpin, hopper, woolly bugger, copper john) but nothing seemed to attract their attention.

Note to self....check fly box before racing off to the creek.

All in all, it was a good night. Cooled off to the mid 90's by 8:30 or so and the mosquitoes were on strike....or at least not working.

No comments:

Post a Comment